Dating for the glory of God
Marriage is not ultimately about being happy
• marriage is about making you happy in God
• marriage is a “parable of permanence”
• marriage is ultimately about Christ and the Church
Ephesians 5 (NIV)
31″For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”32This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church.33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
All of creation displays the glory of God
• The joy of marriage is like the joy of the Church uniting with Christ
• marriage reflects the mystery of the Church and Christ which is now revealed
• the roles of marriage reflect the divine mystery of our unity with God
1. Thou shalt not date a non-Christian. Seriously though, he has to be a mature believer if he’s going to have a chance on the mission field.
2. Thou shalt not date a guy who spends more on his clothes than you do. Missionaries don’t make a lot. Obvious right?
3. Thou shalt not date a guy whose parents still treat him like a little kid. If his parents have to cook, clean, pay his bills or remind him to sleep, then you are in trouble.
4. Thou shalt look for a guy who shows interest in caring for others. I don’t just mean evangelism. If he cares about the homeless, elderly or kids, then there is a good chance he will like missions.
5. Thou shalt look for a guy who lives simply. This is like #2. A simplistic lifestyle means that the guy is more ready to give up his own comforts to serve others.
6. Thou shalt look for a guy who is passionate about the glory of God and talks as if he fellowships with Jesus. Does he tell you about what God is doing in his life?
7. Thou shalt take the advice of older, Godly missional people. Missionaries can identify who will make it on the field. You have to trust wise counsel.
1. Thou shalt not base your attraction on looks alone (no this isn’t obvious)
2. Thou shalt not assume that because she talks to you then she must be into you
3. Thou shalt consider what subjects she brings up in conversation. If they always revolve around her, RUN!
4. Thou shall find a lady who is CURRENTLY serving the lost, poor or at risk.
5. Thou shall find a lady who associates with friends who are also living their lives passionately for Jesus.
6. Thou shall look for a girl who has a good reputation
7. Thou must not jump into things too quickly. Instead thou must fast, pray and heed advice before any course of action.
Me and Carmen’s testimony: