In ancient times you would sacrifice your child to a local pagan deity in order to:
- be protected from tragedy/misfortune
- influence deities to give your family health and good fortune
- get rid of an unwanted child
WebMD says these are the top reasons for abortions.
- Birth control (contraceptive) failure. Over half of all women who have an abortion used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant.3
- Inability to support or care for a child.
- To end an unwanted pregnancy.
- To prevent the birth of a child with birth defects or severe medical problems. Such defects are often unknown until routine second-trimester tests are done.
- Pregnancy resulting from rape or incest.
- Physical or mental conditions that endanger the woman’s health if the pregnancy is continued.
Think about the similarities for a second.